Join our versatile and hardworking team
Headquartered in the Graham Visitors Center at beautiful Washington Park Arboretum, the Arboretum Foundation is an exciting place to work. One of Seattle’s oldest non-profit organizations, the Foundation is staffed by a small group of dynamic, hard-working individuals who are passionate about our mission to preserve and enhance the crown jewel of the city’s park system.
Current Openings: Gift Shop & Office Assistant (Part-Time)
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant is a part-time (15 hour/week), nonexempt, hourly position, well suited for an individual with experience in customer service and/or office work, who will work Fridays and Saturdays. This position requires someone who is detail-oriented and personable; is willing to take on a wide variety of tasks to keep an office running; enjoys interacting with patrons; is well-suited to working in a small team setting; and who succeeds in being a “jack-of-all-trades”.
Position schedule: Fridays and Saturdays, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Applicants who cannot work this schedule will not be considered.
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant will be helping to maintain the office, answering phones, performing day-to-day operations of the Arboretum Gift Shop, and performing other clerical tasks as needed for the organization as a whole.
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant reports to the Volunteer Programs Manager. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary phone-answerer and ensure phones are covered during regular office hours.
- Act as the receptionist for the Arboretum Foundation office, connecting with donors, volunteers, and patrons when they come back into the office, or are referred to us in the Graham Visitors Center lobby.
- Assist volunteers in the day-to-day operation of the gift shop: opening and closing, assisting customers, training volunteers, assisting with inventory management, troubleshooting systems, processing invoices, and keeping the back stock tidy.
- Maintain systems and strategies for the efficient operation of the office, including, but not limited to: open, sort, and distribute mail; track and purchase office supplies; create and maintain electronic (shared) and paper office files; update staff phone list and emergency contact information, etc.
- Assist with Development and Membership department tasks as needed.
- Where applicable, help create and implement new systems for office or gift shop.
- Assist with office organization projects.
- Provide assistance at scheduled weekend and evening fundraising events, which will involve some light physical labor.
- Assist with preparing weekly gift shop deposits.
- Other duties as assigned
- Salary: $20 per hour.
- This position does not qualify for benefits.
- Retail and/or customer service experience.
- Comfort and proficiency in a retail environment.
- Experience with MS Office products.
- Ability to thrive and work effectively as part of a small team in a fast-paced and rapidly growing program, with limited instruction.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve, and multi-task.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
- Office experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Square for Retail system.
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Adobe Suite, and donor management software (Raiser’s Edge and Greater Giving).
- Motivated self-starter.
- Experience working with volunteers.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
All applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran or military status or any other protected status. The Arboretum Foundation is dedicated to being an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply and Timeline
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
No phone calls please! Applications will be accepted until August 12; position to be filled as soon as is feasible.
Thanks for your interest!
Jul 14, 2021
We had a good turnout for our Virtual Annual Meeting on June 16. More than 70 Arboretum Foundation members tuned into the Zoom webinar to hear about our fiscal-year accomplishments, listen to updates from our UW and City partners, and participate in our Board of...
Jul 13, 2021
Stewartias are among the stars of the summer-flowering season at the Arboretum. While the Asian stewartia species in the main grove on the southern edge of the Camellia Collection justifiably receive a lot of praise, the lesser-known mountain stewartia (Stewartia...
Jul 12, 2021
The Foundation and its partners at the UW and City of Seattle are delighted to announce that a restoration project in the Arboretum has been awarded the prestigious Founders Fund for 2021 by the Garden Club of America (GCA). The award of $30,000 will help us complete...