Tsutakawa Memorial Gates
Celebrating the Return of the Arboretum’s Iconic Entry
Wednesday, September 14, 2022
3:30 to 6:00 p.m.
Graham Visitors Center
All members of the public welcome!
Free parking and admission
Please join us on September 14 to celebrate the return of the Tsutakawa Memorial Gates to the entrance of Washington Park Arboretum.
The original gates—created in 1976 by renowned Northwest artist George Tsutakawa to memorialize all those who love and support the Arboretum—were stolen and destroyed at the start of the pandemic in 2020. Thanks to support from private donors and local government organizations, the gates have been lovingly recreated by George’s son, sculptor Gerard Tsutakawa, who fabricated the original gates for his father.
Enjoy live music, Taiko drumming, food trucks, and more.
Gerard Tsutakawa fabricating the new gates in his workshop in spring 2022.
- Tsutakawa Memorial Gates Replacement Project: Arboretum Foundation Campaign
- Stolen Beauty: Theft, Destruction, and Replacement of Tsutakawa’s Sculptural Gates, by Mayumi Tsutukawa, UW Magazine, June 2022
- Bronze gates by renowned artist George Tsutakawa stolen from Washington Park Arboretum, The Seattle Times, March 19, 2020.
- The Memorial Gates: A Symbol of Endurance, by Rosamond P. Engle, Arboretum Bulletin, Winter 1976.
- George Tsutakawa (1910–1997): Official website
Aug 5, 2022
New astilbes in bloom along the upper stream in Rhododendron Glen.The Arboretum has made great progress on plant collection restoration in Rhododendron Glen over the last three years, but the stream restoration portion of the project has been delayed due to a...
Jul 26, 2022
Volunteers in the wetlands beside South Azalea Way.More than 100 volunteers from REI helped care for the Arboretum on Thursday, July 21 during one of the company's regular work-service events. The group members were all from REI's IT division and included folks who...
Jul 18, 2022
PHOTO: Azalea Way, the centerpiece of the Olmsted design of Washington Park Arboretum. This year marks the 20oth anniversary of the birth of Frederick Law Olmsted. Numerous celebrations are taking place around the country to mark the bicentennial of this iconic...