Arborists & Gardeners
Funding garden maintenance and tree care
By becoming a member of the Arboretum Foundation or making a donation, you play a vital role in preserving and enhancing the Washington Park Arboretum for current and future generations. The Foundation supports the maintenance of the Arboretum’s plant collections, gardens, and natural areas in the following key ways.
- Funding the UW Botanic Gardens staff arborists, who keep the Arboretum’s woody plant collections healthy, safe, and vigorous.
- Funding the salaries and benefits of the two UW Botanic Gardens horticulturists who care for the Pacific Connections Garden in the Arboretum.
- Funding temporary gardeners assigned to special projects, such as the restoration of the Lake Washington Boulevard Corridor.
- Coordinating the Garden Stewards program, which recruits and trains volunteers to assist horticulture staff with weeding, mulching, and other tasks.
- Coordinating the Corporate and Group Service Program, which recruits volunteers from local businesses and community groups to participate in weeding and mulching work parties.
Sep 23, 2022
The newly restored Tsutakawa Memorial Gates at the north end of Azalea Way.Our public celebration for the restoration of the Tsutakawa Memorial Gates on September 14 was a truly special occasion! A large crowd of visitors attended the late-afternoon event and enjoyed...
Aug 26, 2022
PHOTO: The Olmsted-era Lookout Gazebo in the Arboretum's New Zealand Forest. This year marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Frederick Law Olmsted. Numerous celebrations are taking place around the country to mark the bicentennial of this iconic landscape...
Aug 5, 2022
New astilbes in bloom along the upper stream in Rhododendron Glen.The Arboretum has made great progress on plant collection restoration in Rhododendron Glen over the last three years, but the stream restoration portion of the project has been delayed due to a...
“Thank you so, so much for all your work maintaining the arboretum — it is a beautiful refuge that I have been lucky enough to visit every week during lockdown… Every time I visit I discover something new and see the care that the gardeners have taken. I wish I could give more, but hopefully this helps get you to your goal”