Arborists & Gardeners
Funding garden maintenance and tree care
By becoming a member of the Arboretum Foundation or making a donation, you play a vital role in preserving and enhancing the Washington Park Arboretum for current and future generations. The Foundation supports the maintenance of the Arboretum’s plant collections, gardens, and natural areas in the following key ways.
- Funding the UW Botanic Gardens staff arborists, who keep the Arboretum’s woody plant collections healthy, safe, and vigorous.
- Funding the salaries and benefits of the two UW Botanic Gardens horticulturists who care for the Pacific Connections Garden in the Arboretum.
- Funding temporary gardeners assigned to special projects, such as the restoration of the Lake Washington Boulevard Corridor.
- Coordinating the Garden Stewards program, which recruits and trains volunteers to assist horticulture staff with weeding, mulching, and other tasks.
- Coordinating the Corporate and Group Service Program, which recruits volunteers from local businesses and community groups to participate in weeding and mulching work parties.
Feb 21, 2024
A total of 325 guests attended our annual Opening Night Party at the Northwest Flower & Garden Festival on February 13 and helped us raise more than $425,000 in support of core programs at the Washington Park Arboretum. This year’s party marked the 90th year of...
Feb 1, 2024
The mountain hemlock cultivar 'Bump's Blue' growing in the Arboretum. (Photo by Niall Dunne)Mountain hemlock is an incredible species, able to grow in an environment where conditions alternate between deep winter snows and harsh summer dry spells, and where growing...
Jan 10, 2024
Rhododendron pubescens in bloom in lower Rhododendron Glen. (Photo by Niall Dunne)In the latest issue of the Arboretum Bulletin, UW Botanic Gardens Curator of Living Collections Ray Larson writes his annual, in-depth review of new plantings in the Arboretum. Ray...
“Thank you so, so much for all your work maintaining the arboretum — it is a beautiful refuge that I have been lucky enough to visit every week during lockdown… Every time I visit I discover something new and see the care that the gardeners have taken. I wish I could give more, but hopefully this helps get you to your goal”